Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gastrointestinal surgeons = Milton (from Office Space)

Sometimes I need to recognize the knowledge base of the people I talk to. At work, I'm surrounded by engineers where my conversation comfort level is peaked. However, in the hospital, I have dumbfounded several nurses and doctors with my questioning. For instance, I often joke about replacing various body parts with better materials. This leads me down a material selection process which effectively kills the conversation. I even asked a surgeon what material the staples inside me where made of. He didn't know. So I Googled it.

In my quick search for surgical staples, I found something more interesting. The special staplers used in the operating room. My surgeon needed at least two different staple guns to repair my intestine and skin along the incision. Then it dawned on me. GI surgeons have their very own staplers just like Milton. Try to take them away, and they'll blow up the hospital. Just kidding.

1 comment: