Wednesday, July 27, 2011

2011...The year of pain

This year started great. I moved to a new position at work, bought a house, and Casey moved in with me. I spent much of my free time working on the house including building a raised garden bed. I was hoping to spend my summer watching the crops grow up and produce delicious foods. Then July came and completely destroyed all the happy thoughts for this year.

In May, I went to the emergency due to pain in my lower right abdomen. The initial diagnosis was a ruptured appendix. Unfortunately, that turned out to be false. The real diagnosis is Crohn's Disease. I started treatment to keep me in remission, but as the I tapered the medication down another flare occurred. On June 30th, I returned the emergency room for four days. The doctors believed that I would get better but wanted to start more aggressive treatments. Eight days later I returned to hospital before any more treatments. Which brings me to my current state. I've been in the hospital for two weeks now and it appears that I will be released in the next week. The problem is I cannot eat or drink anything due to a hole in my bowel. So I'll be on IV nutrition while at home. In six weeks I will get surgery which will hospitalize me for another two weeks with a six week recovery time. I only hope is that I will start to put some weight back on before the surgery. I've lost 30 pounds in the last three weeks. I was already thin, but now I look sickly.

Through all this my number on craving is ice cream. How I long for the day where I can have a vanilla soft serve ice cream cone. I'll settle for a milkshake though. Stay tuned for more depressing blog posts. The most depressing thing, I'm ready to buy an Apple product. Sitting around all the time, and I finally get the point of the Ipad/tablet revolution.

2 comments:

  1. Tyler. Lindsay told me last night about your posts. Im sorry to hear about what you're going through. Im sure it is miserable. Just stick in there and be strong and positive and hopefully it will get better for you soon. Hows that apple treating you? Was it an Ipad?

    ReplyDelete